Thursday, January 22, 2009

Google may take over the world?!

As a student in library school, I learned how to use Google Docs last summer. I also learned how to use Microsoft MovieMaker. How do these two statements relate? They don't! When using MovieMaker, I first make a Powerpoint slide show and then save each slide as a JPEG. Well, when trying to make a farewell movie for our library director, I explored the scrapbook page template at Google. It was so neat to be able to put in photos, move embellishments, etc. Then I tried to figure out how to save each slide as a JPEG and couldn't figure out how. So, as Google says, I tried to download my Google docs presentation into Powerpoint itself. No such luck! I'm not sure I'd trust the presentation portion if I were someplace doing a talk and wanting to just download it at my presentation's location. I did use the word processing portion with success, writing papers and saving them so I could work on them over my lunch hour at work or anywhere else I might have access to them. That worked fine for me. It was also a back up storage place because where I attend school, your computer problems are not your teachers' computer problems and your computer problems are taken right off your grade. We talked about kids using Google apps to do group projects and how, as the teacher, you can see who altered the report and when. That would be kind of neat. So in my opinion, Google apps are nice and convenient, but I can't see them obliterating the Microsoft Office market at this point in time.

No comments: